The usual verbal diarhea from Najib Tun Razak at PWTC (59th UMNO Genera Assembly) last night. All I can say is that the speech before the wanita, pemuda and puteri delegates is TOTALLY UN-INSPIRING.
It has 66 points. Just short of one 6 (or 666) to make it the speech of the devil himself. But Najib is the 6th PM of Malaysia, so guys, go figure!
There are several flaws as well in the 66 + 6 speech. Najib, like his mentor Mahathir Mohammad, speaks as if all Malays are UMNO. Malay does not equal to UMNO and soon UMNO wakes up to that reality, the better!
And UMNO did not get the most seats because more people ‘SAYANG’ UMNO, but because seats allocation strategy in Barisan Nasional ensured that UMNO dominates!
2. In point 9 of the speech, Najib quotes the Holy Book about Allah having the power to bestow and snatch away everything from one.
I remember not too long ago, Najib practically pulled away the carpet from under the feet of the rightful government in Perak. Are you thinking what I am thinking?
3. Najib’s historical rethoric is laughable – delving only into the outcome but not the origins of history, of the may 13, 1969 racial massacre for example. In other words, quoting history for the sake of quoting without proper context can be dangerous.
4. He speaks about money politics as if he were totally free of it. What about this guy Fauzi Muda who claimed Najib tried to bribe him to defect?
5. In point 30, Najib says UMNO needs leaders who are courageous to make changes, and accept changes; those who are brave to criticise and receive criticism. Hahaha! Lim Kit Siang just spelled out all the doom that is about to happen with Najib’s incoming premiership. What is Najib talking about?
He also talks about embracing the Internet when six (the number 6 again!) new media were banned from covering the UMNO assembly.
6. Malay and UMNO cannot be separated? That’s point 55, a warning to all those who dare steer away. In a way I pity the Malays. You are trapped. And any attempt to drift away will be met with great force. Najib uses this as an excuse to blame others for questioning the social contract, etc. Another excuse to use draconian laws like the ISA on those who question UMNO’s domination.
7. In his next point, Najib insults the Malays to say that policies are made in their favour because compared to other races, they are still very much left behind. Well, who put them there in the first place?
8. And lastly, because I am dying of boredom reading this speech, is that Najib is all set to be PM. And this I feel is sadly, the TOTAL failure of the opposition and civil society to effect change in the country.